With so many countertop microwaves on the market, it can be hard to know which to by in general, let alone which is the best microwave for senior citizens in your life!
Luckily for you, we have compiled a list of 20 of the simple and best Microwaves for Seniors & Elderly 2022 so you don’t have to waste your time researching every single one by yourself. If you are short on time, however, skip to the pros and cons list for each one so you aren’t running late for your errands! If you are looking for the Dementia Friendly Microwave, here is the right place to give you full of suggestions to get the best Dementia Microwave.
To make it even easier for the elderly, all you are required to do is click on the name, add it to your Amazon basket and wait for it to be delivered — it’s as easy as 1, 2, 3.
Related Post: Reviews of Electric bikes for seniors
List of Top 20 Simple & Best Microwaves for Seniors & Elderly 2022 Reviews:
- By: Panasonic NE-1025F Dial Microwave
The Panasonic NE-1025F countertop dial microwave for elderly is complete with a 1000-watt, high power output, alongside a durable, stainless steel casing and framework.
This is a commercial simple microwave for seniors(wonderful for quick food preparation in restaurants, offices, hotels, etc.) so you can expect the utmost longevity and reliability for years to come. And It is also one Dementia Friendly Microwave.
Plus, the convenient Grab and Go handle is great for ultra grip and easy accessibility — as well as saving time in the kitchen.
Not to mention that it will save you money in the long run as you won’t need to use an actual oven — this little guy can reheat, cook, bake and defrost! What more could you ask for?
It utilizes an uncomplicated, large dial to set the timer which is perfect for senior citizens with dexterity and sight issues.
If you want to check the under counter microwaves, we recommend this post for you : Top 9 Best Under the counter Microwaves .
- By: 1.Nostalgia RMO4AQ Retro Large 0.9 Cu Ft Dial Microwaves
If you are looking for a microwave with knobs, it would be hard for you to find one better than this dial microwave for seniors.
The name of the brand ‘Nostalgia’ should pull you towards your childhood if nothing attracts you. The microwave has a subtle yet classic design, which is going to be the center of attraction in your kitchen.
One of the most exciting features about the microwave is that it comes with not one or two, but 12 pre-programmed settings which would make cooking a lot easier for the user.
This means that the senior citizens would have one less thing to worry about.
With modern microwaves filled with buttons, it can be hard to figure out which one performs which function. That would not be the case with this microwave. Instead of buttons, it uses a simple dialing system.
Just push the button and then move the dial to your desired position. The dial on this microwave with turn knob can perform several functions, including setting the cooking time, selecting the microwave settings, and a few more.
If you are worried about any child accidentally touching the microwave, then Nostalgia has covered you. It comes with a child safety lockout mode, thus keeping the children safe around it.
- By: Commercial Chef Rotary Dial Dementia Friendly Microwave Oven
If you are looking for a cheap microwave for seniors, then we have something that you might find interesting. The first feature that we would like to discuss this rotatory dial microwave is that it comes with six different power levels. This is another Dementia Friendly Microwave that we recommend to seniors or elderly with Dementia patients.
So, whatever your need might be, the microwave is most likely to fill it. If you wish to reheat or defrost food, then it is recommended that you go for medium power levels.
On the other hand, if you want to perform heavy cooking, you should choose the high settings.
With electricity bills reaching the sky, you must choose appliances that do not consume a lot of electricity. Well, you would be glad to know that this microwave does precisely that. Unlike other ovens, when you are not using this, it does not consume any electricity.
Additionally, it doesn’t have any glow from an electronic display either to annoy you while you are trying to sleep. Apart from being very space-saving, the microwave also happens to be very easy to clean.
- By:Sharp R-21LCFS Medium-Duty Commercial Dial Microwave Oven(Dial Timer)
- By:Sharp R-21LCFS Medium-Duty Commercial Dial Microwave Oven(Dial Timer)
The next dial microwave oven on our list is by the brand Sharp. Seniors are going to have a great time operating it as it is relatively simple to use.
It comes with a classic knob style design and a timer that can be used, ranging between 10 seconds to 6 minutes. Additionally, to make things even easier for citizens, this microwave has bright LED indicators so they can see things even more clearly.
The interior of the microwave is big enough to accommodate plates of different sizes.
Another exciting feature of the microwave is that it has an auto-cancel feature. As soon as you open the door, it will stop operating.
The interior and exterior of the microwave are manufactured out of stainless steel. Apart from ensuring durability, the material is also straightforward to clean.
Finally, all the essential instructions regarding the microwave are printed on the side of it. It even has a chart that shows the most effective timer for different kinds of food.
- By: COSTWAY Retro Turn Dial Microwaves Oven
If you are looking for turn dial microwaves that can handle your versatile needs, this product would be excellent. It comes with five different power levels, ensuring that all of your needs are well taken care of.
Whether you want to defrost food or want a power level for making proper food, this microwave has got you covered. It will be an excellent option if you are looking for a microwave to defrost your food and retain its taste.
Another exciting feature of this microwave is that it is effortless to use. It comes with two knobs that can be used for selecting different power levels, among other things.
It also has an LCD, which shows you how much time is left. Once the cooking or defrosting is over, the oven will beep three times to let you know, so you haven’t forgotten about it.
Moreover, the oven comes with a default cooking menu for some items such as pizza and popcorn.
- By: COMFEE Retro Microwave Oven With A Dial
People often complain that manufacturers do not put a lot of effort into creating the microwave design. Such people would be glad to have this microwave oven with a dial by Comfee in their kitchen as it has a cute design that fits perfectly wherever you place it.
It comes with some nice features that any person would love to have. Those features include energy-saving eco mode and child safety lock.
It comes equipped with ten different power levels to suit all your versatile cooking needs. It also has an interior light so you can look at your meal while it is being heated or cooked. The microwave comes in three different yet eye-catching colors, which are sure to be the center of attraction wherever it is placed.
- By: Magic Chef Countertop microwave for Elderly
Many people would look at the best microwaves for seniors and feel like it is a ‘cheap’ one. Why? Well, it isn’t filled with a lot of features, nor is it covered in a load of buttons. It is an extremely ‘back-to-basics’ appliance, however, it is a fabulous choice for seniors.
Thanks to the little to no features, the microwave is extremely easy to use for seniors. It provides two large dials (one for power and one for the timer) and nothing more. The simplicity makes it perfect for seniors since they won’t need to learn any new technology to use it.
It does look cool though; the retro look has been coming back into style for a long time and Magic Chef has bought into this trend with the design of this best microwaves for elderly.
Plus, the ‘ding’ sound to signify the end of the cooking time is loud enough for people with hearing impairments to be able to hear — again, good for seniors.
As we have mentioned, it isn’t full of new-fangled features. Bear in mind that this does mean it isn’t equipped with an automatic turn off feature so this may confuse some seniors — it’s really up to you whether this would be a problem!
However, it is still very high up on our list because of the low maintenance, easy to clean, and amazingly uncomplicated to use aspects which are all great qualities in an appliance fit for seniors. Not to mention it comes at an unbeatable price!
How many watts is magic chef Microwave for Elderly Person?
This magic chef microwave is 900 Watts of power to prepare a wide variety of foods quickly and easily.
- By: Daewoo KOR-7LREW Big Button Microwave Oven
Are you (or the senior citizen you are kindly gifting a wonderful new microwave for elderly too) looking for efficiency? What about style and design? Probably both, right? Well, usually, you would have to compromise and choose which aspect you’d prefer — not with the Daewoo KOR-7LREW which has both of these sought after characteristics!
The menu used is well laid out and straightforward for easy reading and selection of the various options. Daewoo has also made sure that it saves space within your kitchen by compacting the design; this also ensures a reduced power usage since there is less space to heat.
A great feature this Microwave for Elderly Person provides is a lockable control panel which will prevent any accidental starts so it increases the safety of the appliance to senior citizens. Not to mention that the aforementioned control panel is clear, thus very easy to read.
Additionally, there are a total of 4 preset buttons so you just need to open the door, place the food in and touch one big button on the microwave, instead of having to mess around with other settings.
- By: Midea 1025F0A Microwave
The Midea 1025F0A countertop microwave might not be the prettiest appliance, but it is exceptionally user-friendly. Since the hospitality industry uses this best microwaves for seniors, you are guaranteed a near-perfect cook for your food.
Amazingly, the simple touchpad control panel and ergonomic, easy to grip dial come complete with braille so it is great for seniors struggling with impaired vision of some kind. The LED display itself is crystal clear so it isn’t difficult for most to see!
Plus, the interior light comes on when heating or cooking food so you don’t need to keep opening the door to check on your meal — not only is this more convenient, it’s also a lot safer.
With 5 power options and 60 minutes of maximum cooking time, there isn’t much this appliance can’t do! Alongside this, there are 100 programmes which have already been integrated into the software to enable a seamless start-up and use.
Luckily, Midea has chosen to incorporate a loud beep once the cooking process has finished which shouldn’t be hard for seniors to hear.
- By: Breville Quick Touch BMO734XL microwave with knobs
Convenience. Probably one of the top criteria you will think of when purchasing a Microwave for Elderly Person and the Breville Quick Touch BMO734XL has that in abundance.
Adjusting the power during the cooking cycle process is possible with this little guy, as well as a Sensor IQ which means you don’t have to worry about setting the right cycle time!
Of course, efficiency and effectiveness wouldn’t be qualities of this appliance if one-touch cooking modes weren’t available — therefore, Breville has provided this best microwaves for seniors with this priceless feature.
Whether you want to soften butter, melt chocolate, reheat beverages or warm leftovers, the 10 different power levels the BMO734XL microwave with dial controls includes makes it all possible.
Quite an interesting addition to this microwave for elderly is the ‘Bit More Button‘ which is easily pressed if you realize your food needs a tad more time cooking — how great is that?
- By: Whirlpool WMC20005YW Countertop Microwave
This one has a very unique design and is made to fit comfortably in the corner of your kitchen, where your workspace meets the wall. It is a brilliant way to save space if you (or your senior giftee) has a smaller apartment kitchen, for example.
The control panel is touch-sensitive which allows for a sleek, stylish design that will blend seamlessly into your space. However, probably more important are the 5 power levels it gives you for all your reheating and defrosting needs.
One comment that you should keep at the forefront of your mind, however, is the fact it is slippery. This means you may have to put something under it to stop it sliding around your countertop. Having said this, this aspect hasn’t deterred people from buying the product as it is very compact, cute and fully functioning.
- By: Commercial Chef CHM009 Microwave Oven
If you are after a fast and uncomplicated kitchen cooking experience, then this stylish microwave oven could be the perfect choice for you. It is lightweight, making it brilliant for senior citizens as they can lift it should the need to, and the compact size only makes it even easier for them to move it around their space.
For easy opening, Westinghouse has integrated a grip handle detailed with chrome accents to mark it out from the front face of the microwave for elderly ave so the visually impaired won’t struggle to use the best microwaves for elderly.
There are only two rotary knobs on the CHM009 microwave oven, and all you need to do is turn each one to the desired settings and you are all set and ready to go. Whether you want to reheat beverages or cook a frozen pizza, you can do it!
This microwave is incredibly easy to clean too it requires little maintenance to keep it functioning well for a long time — perfect for our senior citizens who don’t need the stress of having to upkeep an appliance. To add to this, the turntable can be cleaned in the dishwasher. See, when we said low maintenance, we meant it!
As well as all of this, there are no digital or electric controls so there is no way that the unit will consume energy when it isn’t being used, thus, saving you money and further reducing your carbon footprint.
- By: LG LCS1112ST Microwave Oven
Probably one of the greatest features of the LG LCS1112ST microwave oven is the fact you do not need to use chemicals to clean it! You simply just need to wipe it down occasionally (whenever you see fit, really) so you don’t have to worry about breathing in any potential toxins from cleaning liquids.
The integrated control panel is flawlessly incorporated as a touch-sensitive system which makes for a stylish design, as well as easy use. Plus, there are many one-touch settings that enable you to spend as little time as possible playing around with it.
It is even great in terms of the environment — its display switches off automatically when you are not using it and turns its power consumption into figures as low as 0.1 watts!
Not to mention that it features locking capabilities for protection so is perfect for those living with small children, as well as with senior citizens.
- By: Sharp ZR559YW Microwave Oven
Sharp microwave ovens have been trusted by the masses for many years so, without surprise, one of their models has been placed on our list.
The ZR559YW is a very stylish little appliance that includes a large interior for cooking and reheating, without showing its size on the outside so it still saves you space — think tardis!
It will add to the beauty of your kitchen by providing you with a glossy white outer coating. The style didn’t get missed out by Sharp here.
The control panel of the best simple microwave for seniors is a one-touch system (like a lot of the best microwaves for seniors we’ve mentioned here), thus making it be a simple microwave to use for everyone, including senior citizens.
- By: 10. Impecca CM0674 dial Microwave Oven
The CM0674 is an elegant looking microwave with knobs but lacks the digital clock feature which the majority quite value in the best microwave for elderly. However, if this doesn’t bother you, then this could be a new addition to your household.
It comprises 6 power levels which make it exceptionally easy to cook (and heat, of course) a wide range of foods and beverages. Yes, as you may well imagine, it is equipped with a timer that will ensure you don’t overcook your meals and tipples.
Regardless of the size of your kitchen, it is bound to fit as Impecca has made sure to make as compact as possible for even the smallest of apartments.
Additionally, the ‘ding’ which lets you know that the cooking procedure is over is fairly loud which is perfect for senior citizens who may have decreased hearing.
- By: Oster OGH6901 Microwave Oven
If you are after even more power variety than the above Impecca microwave, then you may find you’re fairly attracted to the Oster OGH6901 appliance which has 10 (4 more than the above!).
Again, like many of the microwave ovens, we have seen here, a one-touch control system is present here. Therefore, it is a simple microwave oven for elderly to reheat, cook, and defrost food with just a touch of a button — no more messing around with bucket loads of settings.
The LED digital display is clear to read, regardless of the light level in your kitchen at the time. You won’t be leaving your grandparents (or parents) scrabbling around dangerously in the early evening when they’re trying to use their microwave.
For further protection, there is also a locking function to ensure no accidental startups occur and cause any damage.
- By: Farberware FMO09AHTBKC Microwave Oven
With the Farberware FMO09AHTBKC model, you obtain 10 different power levels to control your food’s heating and cooking process, along with a simple, LED display screen.
Of course, the one-touch system which we have seen many a time now is included in this microwave too. Specifically, these buttons are for making pizza, popcorn, heating beverages, lunches, baking pasta dishes and much more.
Moreover, it is splendidly easy to clean as the turntable is removable so you can make sure you keep it spick and span. Plus, when you want to heat bigger plates or bowls, you can take it out then too so it doesn’t inhibit the rotation.
Like other best easy microwaves for seniors we have talked about, there is a locking feature on this Faberware one as well to provide brilliant protection for both young and old.
- By:GE Profile PEM31SFSS Space Saver Microwave Ovens
This stainless steel countertop microwave is a must-have if you are after efficiency, style and convenience.
It is called “space saver microwave ovens” as it is squat and compact. Don’t let the size fool you, however, as it still gets the job done. Although, do bear in mind that some consumers have mentioned that it feels ‘cheap’ but you are welcome to come to that decision yourself, of course.
The ‘ding’ which signals the end of the cycle is very loud. You may have noticed that we’ve placed this quality in both the pros and the cons lists. Why? Well, on the one hand, it’s great for people who have a hearing impairment, however, if anyone else is living in the house then it could be quite a nuisance — especially for babies!
With that being said, no chemicals are needed to clean it and there are 10 various power levels so, if you decide the loud beep isn’t an issue, you may quite like this one.
- By: Panasonic SN686S Microwave Oven
Many best microwaves for seniors struggle to even cook or heat the food but Panasonic has managed to manufacture the SN686S which does not have a problem doing this!
The 10 power levels make it very versatile for softening butter, heating leftovers, baking a cake in a mug and whatever else you fancy doing!
With a loud enough beep to tell you when your food is ready, it is great for seniors with hearing impairments as they will be able to hear it regardless of where they are in their abode.
- By: Toshiba EM245A5C-SS Microwave Oven
The last one on our list is the Toshiba EM245A5C-SS microwave oven!
It’s made from high-quality stainless steel which means it is more than easy to clean and won’t rust or stain. Thus, senior citizens will not find it difficult to give it a once over with a dishcloth.
You will also be free from burnt or overcooked food as the iNVERTECH technology that Toshiba has packed into this little guy ensures a nice and even defrost or heat!
Seniors can effortlessly open the door, thanks to the gripping handle and they also won’t struggle to see the status of their food because of the bright interior light.
Difference Between Countertop Microwave for Seniors and Normal counter
Nothing beats the versatility and effectiveness of a microwave when it comes to preparing quick, easy meals. Today, microwaves have come a long way from the 6 foot, 800 pound behemoths that they used to be during the World War 2 technology era to small appliances that will fit nicely on a kitchen countertop or in a drawer. The simplicity of a microwave also means that little things, like cooking, can be left in the hands of a moderately capable elderly loved one. It’s why today, more and more microwaves – countertop ones in particular – are designed specifically to cater to the needs of senior citizens than there were a decade ago.
Ideal Microwave Style for Seniors
Most people have the luxury of choosing their microwave ovens and its placement based on their kitchen layout and what they use it for. Seniors don’t have that luxury. For one reason or the other, an elderly person may have difficulty reaching over the range microwaves, or bending to use below the counter microwaves. Countertop microwaves, which are at the perfect height, require no bending or stretching upwards.
As a plus, countertop microwaves aren’t generally as expensive as other types. Primarily because they don’t require extra installation. With an Over the range microwave, you have to think about suitable cabinet for it. Whether there’s sufficient ventilation and so forth. Countertop microwaves come as they are. You can decide to move it to any room without worrying about disrupting power lines. With other microwaves, not only are you paying a premium for excessive preset settings you might never use, you’re also paying to install, which is fine if you’re a chef. Seniors don’t need all the “finese”.
Having established that countertop microwaves are ideal for the elderly, is it alright to walk into any store and pick ANY countertop microwave? Not really. Even amongst countertop microwaves, there are distinctions, and some of these distinctive features can make cooking better and simpler for seniors. Let’s see the difference between countertop microwave for seniors and normal countertop microwaves.
Countertop Microwaves for Seniors Vs. Normal Countertop Microwaves
- Power: microwaves can typically pack between 600 and 1300 watts. The higher the watts, the more expensive the microwave will be, and the faster a meal can be cooked with it. Normal countertop microwaves typically come with more watts, about 900 watts and above, while countertop microwaves for seniors usually pack 600 to 700 watts. Note that even though fewer watts means foods more slowly, it also means a microwave will be less of a fire hazard in the event of an accident. Because you don’t want to leave an elderly person with a more inflammable microwave, it’s better to opt for one with lower power.
- Preset: a lot of experts suggest you get a microwave with lots of presetting. But things can get very confusing, very fast for senior citizens. Hence countertop microwaves defer from their normal counterpart in that they have very little presetting. An auto-cook button may be alright, but including 20 others will make even the auto-cook obscure.
- Handle: Most microwaves have push/pull handles, which is simple enough to use. However, countertop microwaves made specifically for the elderly take into account that older people may have arthritis, which can make push/pull handles that require grips difficult to operate. Instead, most use a very visible press handle, so your loved one won’t need to make a fist. Normal countertop microwaves don’t make this distinction, and will typically put whatever handles fits in with their design.
- Child Safety Lock: If you have a house full of kids, a safety lock will keep them from activating the microwave for fun. A lot of family sized, normal countertop microwaves include this feature. However, if you have an elderly loved one with a memory degenerative disease, a child safety lock would only deter them from using the microwave.
- Size: with microwaves for the elderly, bigger is not always better. In fact, you should avoid anything that resembles WW2 era microwaves for two reasons. First because they can be intimidating. Elderly folks, who didn’t grow up using microwaves might not feel comfortable using gigantic ones. Second, because if the countertop microwave is for just one person, there’s no reason to go big. Big families who opt for normal countertop microwaves have “family sized” ones that are more than 1.4 cubic feet. Countertop microwaves for seniors are usually between 0.6 to 0.9 cubit feet. Nothing more.
- Noise: people often forget when they keep things in the microwave. It’s why most microwaves have evolved to include a beep when the meal’s done heating up or cooking. With normal countertop microwaves, you get a normal beep. Probably once. Countertop microwaves for the elderly don’t just beep, they make loud noises because when you’re pushing 80, half your hearing would be gone. Also note that while normal countertop microwaves might come with a mute button (to allow you get away with snacking in the middle of the night), their elderly versions usually don’t include mute buttons.
- Controls: in this regard, normal countertop microwaves are just like any other style of microwave. They could come with sophisticated keypads or, thanks to the internet of things, Alexa who’ll adhere to your voice command. Countertop microwaves for elderly come with no such modification. The goal is to be easy to operate, so you’d find most of them with a simple dial to increase or decrease the time. Nothing fancy, because fancy’s not good.
- Cost: normal countertops can range from $50 to $500, with some occasionally exceeding the $1000 mark. It would seem microwave is microwave is microwave. But alas, that is not the case. What do you get for the extra high price tag? Mostly brand name, bigger cooking capacity and design (if you see a red painted countertop microwave, opt for black or something generic instead, cause red paint is premium). Baring a few modifications, countertop microwaves for seniors shouldn’t cost as much because they’re designed simply, without all the fanfare normal countertop microwaves have.
- Auto Shut-off: even with a loud “food’s ready” alarm, an elderly person might still forget their meal in the microwave. This makes auto shut-off a necessary part of elderly microwaves. With normal countertops, you can find the auto shut-off feature in some models, but it isn’t a requirement. An auto shut-off feature can conserve energy, since it turns off the microwave when its owner forgets to do so. Most microwaves for seniors also regulate the temperate and time so inappropriate items in the microwaves don’t start fires. A good fail-safe measure for elderly people with dementia.
- Time Adjust: allows you to increase of decrease the time without stopping the microwave. Normal countertop microwaves might have it, but very rarely will those designed for seniors have do. Some microwaves even go an extra mile and include a kitchen timer that reminds you when a task is supposed to be completed.
- Colors and Fonts: elderly people tend to be visually impaired, hence microwaves designed for them use bold fonts on clearly contrasting background colors. Think bold white on black background. No one wants their parent squinting at a microwave for 10 minutes trying to read a faded out 10″ font. It’s open season for normal countertops though. Because they aren’t geared towards any specific audience, manufacturers focus more on design than functionality.
- Safety: all microwave manufacturers have to pass FDA radiation tests, so this shouldn’t be a primary concern for any style of microwave. The major safety concern here is the distance between person and microwave that could disable a pacemaker. Most modern microwaves, including countertop ones, won’t stop pacemakers from working, but the best way to know for sure is to get one that’s designed for seniors.
Caring For Countertop Microwaves
Microwaves can last for ages, but only if they’re properly maintained. Microwave doors are typically the first thing to go, so you should avoid slamming them, as natural as that may seem to you. The reason is because the latch on the door serves as a kill switch. If it’s latched properly, the microwave will function when turned on. If it doesn’t latch, it won’t work because the microwave interprets a failed latch as an open microwave door. So you microwave could be fine, but if the door’s latch is ruined, due to excessive banging, it could stop turning on.
Next, don’t turn the microwave on when it’s empty. Kids are more likely to do this, so if you don’t have a child lock on, keep the microwave where kids can’t reach. The reason for this is because microwave technology relies on the water molecules in food to function. Without these molecules, the radioactive waves might bounce around and hurt something.
Third, use only microwavable containers, and don’t completely cover the food you’re heating up, because the microwaves need to detect steam to function properly. Last but not least, don’t try and fix your microwave yourself, even if you’re an engineer. Get it to the appropriate repair, who may have a better chance fixing it if you don’t temper with anything. Keep your microwave clean and well ventilated and it should last ages.
FAQ For Buying Senior Microwaves
Watch this video “Best Simple&Easy Microwaves for Seniors” (2 mins 4 seconds)
The Final Verdict
So, after all of the best microwaves for seniors, which one to buy? Well, overall, we would go for the Panasonic NE-1025F! Although they are all fantastic, we believe that this one encompasses the full experience that senior citizens are looking for.